Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve done our best to answer common and frequent questions to better serve you. If you have a question not listed here, feel free to contact us via phone or email and we will do our best to answer your question.

What is the admission process?
Bourbon Heights, Inc. uses an application process to collect pertinent information and to ensure that we can help direct each individual for help with payment if applicable. There is at times a small waiting list depending on the level of care needed and the payment source needed.
Can I keep my doctor?
All local physicians are admitting physicians for Bourbon Heights’ residents. Thus, if you have a local physician, then they may continue to be your physician during your stay.
Do I have to sell my house?
Each resident situation should be looked at individually, however as a general rule, Bourbon Heights does not require a resident to sell their home upon admission. If looking at a long term stay and assistance from Medicaid, then Medicaid will ask about the house as a resource. There are various scenarios to cover, for the best information, please see The Department of Medicaid website or seek assistance from a Medicaid caseworker or a Medicaid specialized attorney.
What is the average length of stay?
For our short term rehabilitation stays, the average stay is 30 days. Each individual resident receives a person-centered plan of care and thus stays will depend on the individual need.
What is your staff to resident ratio?
Our staff to resident ratio varies on each unit and shift depending on the needs of the residents at that time. Bourbon Heights is rated 5 stars in staffing on the Medicare 5 star rating system, including the Registered Nurse (RN) component of this rating system.
Does an in-house resident get precedent for availability prior to someone on the waiting list?
Yes, a separate in-house list is maintained for residents needing a different level of care, different rooms, or private rooms.
What is the difference between Independent Living and Assisted Living?
ourbon Heights offers 29 Independent Living Apartments. These residents can maintain their own activities of daily living needs, including medication administration, bathing, dressing, and grooming. Our Housekeeping Director checks in on these individuals daily, otherwise it is like living in any other apartment style building.

Assisted Living is a specific licensure, which Bourbon Heights does not currently have. It allows individuals to live in a setting and receive additional services, such as help with medication administration and bathing. These services are usually an add-on service for an additional charge when needed by the individual.

What is Personal Care?
Personal Care is a level of care between Independent Living and Nursing Care. Bourbon Heights is currently licensed for 10 Personal Care beds. Our staff offer assistance with a shower weekly and perform daily medication administration per the physician orders, however daily dressing and grooming needs are performed by the resident. Activities, Social Services, meals and snacks are all included in the Personal Care Section.
What is the difference between Nursing Beds and Nursing Home/Rehabilitation Beds?
The main difference in these beds is the licensure. Bourbon Heights has 67 beds that are licensed as Nursing Facility, which are available to accept both Medicare and Medicaid payments. Bourbon Heights also has 32 Nursing Home beds, which are only licensed for Medicare. All 99 beds have the potential to be Rehabilitation beds, if needed for the individual.
Does Medicare pay for my stay at a Nursing Home?

Under certain circumstances, Medicare may pay for a portion of your stay at a Nursing Home. To qualify for Medicare benefits, an individual must have an inpatient hospital stay for 3 nights and have a skilled need while at the Nursing Home. Skilled needs include extensive therapy (Physical, Occupational, and/or Speech Therapy), significant wound care treatment, or care of newly placed feeding tube. Custodial care or routine needs, including dementia care are not considered skilled services. If an individual meets the needs to qualify for Medicare, then Medicare could help cover expenses for up to 20 full days and 80 additional days with a copay for a total of up to 100 days if continued skilled needs are necessary. See Medicare website for additional information

How do I apply for Medicaid?

You can apply for Medicaid at your local office for The Department of Community Based Services. The caseworker will need to review three (3) months of bank statements, current income verification (Social Security or pension), life insurance policies, IRAs, Stocks, Bonds, and property information.

To apply for Nursing Facility Medicaid, a resident must be in a Medicaid certified bed and qualify financially, however there are other types of Medicaid that an individual could apply for prior to the nursing facility stay, including community based waiver services, spend down, and Medicare savings plan. See Kentucky Medicaid website for additional information: